Tuesday, May 29, 2018

Tony Bennett Visits Port Richmond High School
                                                      by Darien Gayle
        On April 10th, Tony Bennett and his wife, Susan Benedetto visited Mr. Scarano’s Jazz Band class.  Both the students and staff were excited to perform for a musical legend. “The students were so thrilled to meet Mr. Bennett and perform for him.  As an ETA (Exploring the Arts) partner school, I make sure our students know all about Tony Bennett and his musical contributions,” said Assistant Principal, Ms. Suzanne Woodman. The excitement was also shared by music instructor, Mr. Frank Scarano. “Doing anything in front of a legend is crazy, but to teach in front of someone who advocates for what you do as a profession is stress inducing! I felt the pressure going into the moment, but once Mr. Bennett walked in, he made it easy.  It felt like any day teaching. Only difference was that I had a 19-time Grammy Winner sitting in the corner,” said Mr. Scarano. “Completely star struck; I was shaking when I found out; it’s absolutely insane. I listen to him pretty much every day. He is one of my idols,” expressed student, jazz guitarist, Peter Gillece. "For me, it has most definitely been the highlight of my time here at Port Richmond. What's cool about this is that many of our music students were fans of his before he even came to the school. To see the kids’ reactions as they performed for him today was absolutely special," stated Ms. Woodman.  Mr. Scarano also expressed how special it was to host Mr. Bennett in his classroom, “This was a monumental moment for me.  I grew up listening to Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, and Tony Bennett with my grandfather. He is one of the icons that helped me find my passion. To be able to met him and have him observe me will be a moment of history that will be embedded in me forever.  I feel humbled and blessed to have had this experience with our unbelievable students.”

    Ms. Woodman procured a grant for Exploring the Arts, a program funded by Mr. Bennett and Mrs. Benedetto.  The Exploring the Arts grant funds the purchase of new instruments and gives students the opportunity to train with professional artists to perfect their craft.  Students and staff were excited to show Mr. Bennet and his wife how they have benefitted from their generosity.


No comments:

Post a Comment