Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Are One-Size Stores Body Shaming? by Michelle Ortiz



Recently, a woman by the name of Abby Richmond posted on “Teen Voices” about a clothing store named, “Brandy Melville.” The opinion of this brand was not good. “Brandy's clothes appeal to girls who prefer a simple look. However, there's one important thing that separates Brandy from the other clothing chains--their one-size policy… Melville's clothes aren't just aimed at teenage girls--they're aimed at SKINNY teenage girls,” Abby exclaims.
Abby had actually purchased at that store before, “Confession time: I own several pieces of clothing from Brandy Melville. I love its style, but not its ethics. Brandy Melville's body exclusivity gnaws at my conscience, and it's not just about whether or not I fit into their clothes. My problem with Brandy is that it is absolutely unaccepting of diverse body types,” she tells. She states how Brandy Melville tears away at her self-esteem.
On the bright side, a lingerie store, Aerie, has begun to stop photoshopping their models; they show their freckles, tan lines, tattoos, wrinkles and they send positive messages to girls to “love the real you.” “Luckily for us teenage girls, other clothing chains are rebelling against these tactics. Aerie, a lingerie company owned by the same company that owns American Eagle, announced last year that they will no longer photoshop their models… Their unretouched models present such a positive image for teenage girls. They show that all bodies are beautiful and that there's no need for everyone to conform to the same ideal. They let girls know it's good to be confident in themselves.” Abby states.
Here is what some Port Richmond students thought about Abby’s article. “I agree that some store’s marketing is overdone with their models, I see flawless faces everywhere and I wish I was them, but I’m not, I have a lot of flaws. I disagree with Abby though, because she states the clothes are for skinny 90-pound girls, but I am nowhere near that skinny and I love to buy there. One size clothing is really cool!” Samantha says. Samantha realizes and accepts her flaws, she wishes the fashion industry would too, but she still loves the idea of one-size stores.
On the other hand, Samantha’s friend thought differently. “I’ve been there before and it seems alright, but it’s almost all true. All the girls are skinny without blemishes or marks, and the clothes can be tight or uncomfortable because I’m not that thin. I have curves, my body is proportioned differently, but one size stores are supposed to try their best to fit all bodies, maybe Brandy Melville has to step their game up.” Alyssa says. Alyssa also notices her flaws, but she thinks that one-size stores like Brandy Melville should put more of an effort to fit more body types.
Brandy Melville has lots of work to do, but so does the whole fashion industry. Changes are happening every day and hopefully, one day we can all see models with flaws and express a positive atmosphere towards all body shapes.


No comments:

Post a Comment